Monday, April 9, 2012

Rice Pudding

This rice pudding uses coconut milk instead of evaporated milk, and it's soooooo good. :D

I had to add a whole lot more milk than the recipe called for though, but I'll put that bit in brackets:

250 ml rice (any rice it says, so I used basmati rice)
400 ml coconut milk
300 ml full cream milk (I ended up using 5 3/4 cups in total)
125 ml sugar
2 star anise pods
1 stick cinnamon
5 cardamom pods
  • place rice, coconut milk, milk and sugar in pot and bring to the boil
  • add star anise, cinnamon & cardamom
  • turn down heat and simmer until rice is cooked, stirring occasionally
I couldn't find star anise pods ANYWHERE, so I had to do without.  Boo.

Since I had no idea how long to cook this for, I set the timer for 5 minute intervals and checked up on it and stirred it.  When I saw the rice got too dry and it was still not cooked, I kept adding 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup milk.  I cooked it in total for 75 minutes! (on medium heat).  Adding all that extra milk actually made it taste much better . . . before that the sugar was too overpowering.
Yum yum yummmmm.  :D

Only thing is, it's not as soft & "poury" as I thought it should be, so when I had some rice later after it had cooled down, I added a little bit of milk to it before I heated it up in the microwave, and it was perfect.

Oh yes, sprinkle with some cinnamon powder before serving...and be generous, it's yummy when mixed in, and it's healthy too! (I ended up  adding a lot more cinnamon after the pic was taken).  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment