Friday, November 22, 2013

Chickpeas in Spiced Tomato Sauce with Couscous

I discovered another keeper last night, a tasty spicy chickpea dish, and I can't wait to make it again. :)

3 tbs organic coconut oil
1 cup finely chopped onion (I added at least 1 1/2 cups - I love onion)
1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
3/4 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or 1/2 tsp if you like it uber spicy)
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 cup finely chopped fresh tomato (I added maybe 1/2 tomato more - I love 'mato)
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups cooked drained chickpeas
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • heat pan, add oil, and when hot, fry onion until soft
  • add ginger and stir once
  • add first 4 spices and stir once
  • add tomato and stir for a minute
  • add 1 cup water and salt, bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins
  • add chickpeas, bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins
  • add curry powder and lemon juice, stir, cover and simmer another 5 mins
  • serve on couscous (or rice if you like)

It only serves about 2 large or 3 smaller portions.

No comments:

Post a Comment